Some things you can try
- Help them learn to play with others.
- Ask them to do one thing at a time – not a list.
- Give them lots of praise, being specific about what you like.
- Give them little jobs to do, like handing you the pegs for the washing or collecting the mail.
- Explain why you don’t like something they are doing.
- Respect their boundaries too – don’t force them to hug or kiss friends or relatives if they don’t want to.
- Stay calm and loving when you follow through with consequences.
Making it into a game or singing a silly song can lighten the mood and avoid a power struggle